Thursday, June 9, 2011

'If we are here I suppose we must be resigned.'

It's beautiful how A Little Princess is still able to make me feel so much even though I had read it thrice before.
Such pretty, perfect English.
And yet the simplicity of the language still appeals so very much to me.
As I have said before, this is why I write.
This is why, at times, I love to write.
The ability of a writer to paint such a beautiful picture, like as if a little screenplay is showing in one's mind, with such exuberance is just very simply charming.
It is probably the innocence of it all, perhaps.
I do not know, but yes.
It is such a pretty little book.
Such a pity that it cannot be called mine.

She was mistaken, however, in thinking she was an ugly child. She was not in the least like Isobel Grange, who had been the beauty of the regiment, but she had an odd charm of her own. She was a slim, supple creature, rather tall for her age, and had an intense, attractive little face. Her hair was heavy and quite black and only curled at the tips; her eyes were greenish grey, it is true, but they were big, wonderful eyes with long, black lashes, and though she herself did not like the colour of them, many other people did. Still she was very firm in her belief that she was an ugly little girl, and was not at all elated by Miss Minchin's flattery.

No comments:

Post a Comment