Saturday, June 16, 2012

life on the edge; I'm dangling my feet

Now on my bed in the morning doing random crap.
Which is good because I need this tranquility after encountering a most irksome week.

What an odious, unsatisfactory disposition to have one contend with!
An unnecessarily fixed head to deal with, and one which doesn't put forward ideas sensibly at that.
I beg you of your pardon but I can't even..
So I'm now thanking Alyssa for blogging about it like I told her to because she does it better.
I cannot, I possibly cannot, have to immerse myself in such simple-minded naïveté, or should I put very simply, just plain stupidity on her part.
I do not comprehend how a person of age is unable to fathom sarcasm.
And considering how my letter was quite subtly acid in its tone.
So, well.
Goodness me.
(This friendship is over!)
((Oh, but for the love of God, miss, do NOT bring up a friendship in such silly, frivolous matters!))

In other news, Pride & Prejudice is, what I can only say, most charmant.
I have tried reading Emma once last year but I suppose I wasn't ready for Austen.
But this time, Austen comes across to me so clearly, so delightfully, I can understand now how so many before me have grown to love her writing.
If you ask me, I can certainly see myself reading this over and over and over again.

To such perseverance in wilful self-deception Elizabeth would make no reply, and immediately and in silence withdrew; determined, that if he persisted in considering her repeated refusals as flattering encouragement, to apply to her father, whose negative might be uttered in such a manner as must be decisive, and whose behaviour at least could not be mistaken for the affectation and coquetry of an elegant female.

This is a funny, funny paragraph because I don't even know why.
Mr Collins is just, in today's words, some desperate lad in denial.

'Pride,' observed Mary, who piqued herself upon the solidity of her reflections, 'is a very common failing I believe. By all that I have ever read, I am convinced that it is very common indeed, that human nature is particularly prone to it, and that there are very few of us who do not cherish a feeling of self-complacency on the score of some quality or other, real or imaginary. Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonimously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.'

Well! a most clever observation, I should own.

No comments:

Post a Comment