Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lock and Key

It's a really nice book. Here are some more snippets that I find very... relevant.

---

"She was so afraid of being alone, of you leaving, too, that she never gave you the chance. Until this year, when she knew that you'd be turning eighteen, and you could, and most likely would. So what did she do?"

"Stop it," I said.

"She left you," she finished. "Left you alone, in that filthy house, before you could do the same to her."

---

"You have a big family," I told her.

"True," she agreed. "And there are times I've wished otherwise, if only because the more people you have, the more likely someone won't get along with someone else. The potential for conflict is always there."

"That happens in small families, too, though," I said.

"Yes," she said, looking at me. "It certainly does."

"Do you know who these people are, still?" I asked.

"Oh, yes," she said. "Every one."

---

"Everyone's busy," Nate said.

"I know. I think she's really just scared."

He glanced over at me. "Scared? Of Reggie? What, she thinks he might force her to give up caffeine for real or something?"

"No," I said.

"Of what, then?" he asked.

I paused, only just now realising that the subject was hitting a little close to home. "You know, getting hurt. Putting herself out there, opening up to someone."

"Yeah," he said, adding some cheese straws to the cart, "but risk is just part of relationships. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't."

I picked up a box of cheeese straws, examining it. "Yeah," I said. "But it's not all about chance, either."

---

She sat back, brushing her braids away from her face. "My point is, there are a lot of people in the world. No one ever sees anything the same way you do; it just doesn't happen. So when you you find someone who gets a couple of things, especially if they're important ones... you might as well hold on to them. You know?"

---

Yeah, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment